Position title: Community Resource Navigator
Classification: Non-exempt, Full time
Reports to: Health and Community Development Director
Date: September 2019
The Community Resource Navigator provides day-to-day direct support services to residents of Pescadero, La Honda, Loma Mar, and San Gregorio. The Community Resource Navigator will be a primary point of contact for individuals and families who are eligible to receive services, including emergency food and housing assistance, health insurance and CalFresh enrollments, translations, phone calls, assistance with obtaining transportation, assistance with tax and immigration services, and referrals to other resources. The Community Resource Navigator is responsible for establishing and maintaining contact with a large number of community members, and for case management of families enrolled in numerous Puente economic security, behavioral health and health programs. The Community Resource Navigator makes appointments, keeps records and assists with the assessment of community needs.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Advocate for program participants to obtain appropriate housing, employment, education, counseling, health care, transportation, treatment, medication and other needed services
- Assist applicants to successfully enroll/re-enroll in government-sponsored health coverage programs and to navigate their benefits
- Assist program participants to successfully enroll in Puente’s seasonal economic security programs (Backpacks, Diapers, Gift Cards, La Sala Posada, Car Seats)
- Assist program participants with rental assistance applications and other programs or services that support the well being of families and individuals
- Provide followup on all pending applications to ensure the enrollment process is complete
- Translate and interpret, and use the knowledge of language, cultural practices and beliefs to help structure a participant plan of care and self-management that is culturally and linguistically appropriate
- Communicate effectively in a manner that promotes trust and cooperation.
- Coordinate assistance to those affected by local and regional emergencies, i.e., fire and flooding, and help those affected respond and recover effectively
- Complete thorough and accurate documentation of contact with program participants, property owners, and other social services agencies and programs as soon as possible following contact
- Maintain current knowledge of and working relationships with community resources and social service providers
- Participate in outreach and community events, as needed
- Work with Economic Security Manager to identify program outcomes and outputs and report monthly on evaluation progress
- Supports Economic Security Manager to compile data and communicate information to collaboration partners, stakeholders and community members to engage new partners and sustain relationships and funding for this project.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, human services, counseling or related field or relevant combination of education and experience
- Experience in case management, providing direct services to program participants
- Experience supervising a team
- Ability to organize tasks and people in an efficient manner
- Proficiency in translating English to Spanish and Spanish to English
- Willing to work a variety of extended hours, as necessary for position including evenings and some weekends
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, including: Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Current California Driver’s License and ability to drive to work-related functions in and around Pescadero, La Honda, Loma Mar and San Gregorio/Southern San Mateo County area
- Commitment to Puente’s vision of supporting a healthy, inclusive, and sustainable South Coast community
- Works collaboratively with colleagues, partners, and community members
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Spanish
- Extensive experience with identifying and coordinating critical participant needs and leveraging resources to create sustainable programs
- Cultural competency to work with residents from diverse backgrounds across boundaries of class, race, and inequality issues
- Knowledge of the South Coast or experience working in a rural community preferred
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends, as needed
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities and projects outlined in various work plans
- Able to multitask and work on numerous projects at one time
Puente offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Please e-mail cover letter, resume and three references to Lisa Mateja, Executive Administration Assistant at email@example.com.
About Puente (Pescadero, California)
Since 1998, Puente de la Costa Sur (Puente) has worked to build a healthy, sustainable and inclusive South Coast Community. Its mission is to provide vital services for men, women, children and families living in the rural San Mateo South Coast communities of Pescadero, La Honda, Loma Mar, and San Gregorio, primarily farmworker and their families. Puente provides a single point of entry for men, women, and children to safety net services, health and wellness services, leadership development, and opportunities for community engagement and action. For more information, visit us at www.mypuente.org.