Puente de la Costa Sur (Puente) seeks an enthusiastic, team-oriented, experienced fundraising professional to join our team as Development Director. The ideal candidate will possess excellent organizational, project management, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills and be entrepreneurial. The Development Director is responsible for leading Puente’s fundraising programs but will focus on building a robust major and individual gifts programs.
- Plan, implement and manage major donor fundraising strategies and programs
- Identify, recruit and cultivate new major donors and foundation donors
- Steward current individual, major donors and foundation donors
- Create a culture of storytelling to communicate Puente successes in ways that grab our donor’s hearts. Collect, write, and publish these stories.
- Engage board, staff, and volunteers in fundraising
- Oversee donor database and keep administrative records
Job duties include but are not limited to:
Strategic Planning and Management
- Develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising plan with an emphasis on major donors that includes every stage of the fundraising cycle (identify, cultivate, solicit, steward, recognize, and evaluate) to ensure that the Puente meets its annual financial goals and develops a strong financial base for the future
- Oversee and prioritize development department campaigns, activities and initiatives, meetings and fundraising calendar
- Prepare annual fundraising goals for major donors, grassroots fundraising, and foundation grants in collaboration with the Executive Director
- Identify and cultivate new funding opportunities and develop relationships with individuals, foundations, government and other institutional representatives
- Support the ED and other lead staff to align specific fundraising strategies with program and organizational priorities
- Use data to analyze results, inform planning, and report to donors about all aspects of
- Write and review fundraising materials, including grant proposals and reports to corporate, foundation, and government funders, donor letters, newsletters, fund development project descriptions, marketing materials, stories, case statements, and campaign-strategy documents, as needed
- Initiate and coordinate major-donor appreciation events and annual thank you gifts.
- Produce reports to communicate gift results in a timely manner
- Manage timely response to gifts as well as donor invitations to important Puente events
- Manage the Fund Development Associate
- Plan and implement fundraising programs and activities in a timely manner
- Translate broad goals into achievable steps
- Establish strong and appropriate relationships with Executive Director, staff, governing board, volunteers, donors and the general community.
- Develop constructive relationships with people from all segments of the community
- Demonstrate initiative and work as a team player
- Adhere to the highest ethical standards in management, governance, and fund development
- Demonstrate commitment to continued professional growth and development
- Proven track record of achieving revenue goals of over $1M annually
- Proven experience in building fundraising infrastructure to serve organizational goals and objectives
- At least 5 years of experience leading multi-faceted development programs
- Proven experience in building a comprehensive individual donor program, including major gifts, grassroots fundraising, and managing and supporting staff and volunteer fundraisers
- Ability to prepare effective, compelling messages and stories for prospects and donors, including the use of electronic communications.
- Demonstrated ability in securing foundation grants and other institutional support, including prospect research, cultivation and writing and reviewing grant proposals
- A strong team player with the ability to take and give direction
- Motivation, discipline, flexibility, discretion, attention to detail, willingness to learn, and a sense of humor
- Ability to build strong professional relationships with donors and prospective donors, organizational members, board and staff
- Experience with managing volunteers and interns
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects and priorities and to work both independently and collaboratively and stay on task with deadline-critical projects as well as manage others to stay on deadline.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including ability to write, speak and tell stories persuasively.
- Knowledge of Word, Excel, Donor Perfect (or other fundraising databases), Network for Good, WordPress and Mail Chimp
- Commitment to Puente’s mission, vision and values
- Desire to work in an environment that is diverse, fast-paced and community-driven
- Ability to attend some night and weekend meetings and events
- Spanish language literacy and fluency in reading and writing, a plus
Puente offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Please e-mail applications to Rita Mancera, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Puente (Pescadero, California)
Since 1998, Puente de la Costa Sur (Puente) has worked to build a healthy, sustainable and inclusive South Coast Community. Its mission is to provide vital services for men, women, children and families living in the rural San Mateo South Coast communities of Pescadero, La Honda, Loma Mar, and San Gregorio, primarily farmworker and their families. Puente provides a single point of entry for men, women, and children to safety net services, health and wellness services, leadership development, and opportunities for community engagement and action. For more information, visit us at www.mypuente.org.